UMT-PKT to train students in logistics
Universiti Malaysia Terengganu (UMT) and PKT Logistics Group Sdn Bhd (PKT) will collaborate on student and staff training, research, academics, knowledge transfer and experience sharing with the recent signing of a memorandum of understanding (MoU).
The MoU was signed by UMT vice-chancellor Prof Datuk Dr Mazlan Abd Ghaffar and PKT chief executive and managing director Datuk Seri Dr Michael Tio in Langkawi on May 25, a press release read.
Estimated to be worth more than RM700,000, the MoU includes a collaboration involving 100 students under the 2023 Penjana “Smart Logistician” Programme.
This programme involves the implementation of training modules related to the logistics industry as well as the use of Internet of things technology in warehouse operations that will be conducted for 15 days at The Ship Campus (TSC) in Penang.
Upon completing the training, all students will be offered work at PKT in various warehouse locations, including in Shah Alam, Penang and Kulim.
PKT Excellence Awards, which include a cash prize, will also be presented to three top students annually.
Students who receive the awards will undergo the academic programme at the varsity’s Faculty of Maritime Studies, and be offered a job at PKT.
They will also benefit from facilities like dormitories, rooms, lecture halls, and libraries at TSC.
With the vasrsity’s expertise in shipping and logistics operations, UMT researchers strive to carry out studies in improving the level of governance, management and operations of logistics companies in Malaysia.
UMT and PKT will initiate a strategic study to position Malaysia as the primary logistics hub in Asean.
The study will involve Malaysian industry players, supported by the Malaysian Productivity Corporation.
Recent Press Release
- Varsity and group team up to train career-ready graduates29 August 2023
- Japan’s Mitsui Fudosan to partner PKT Logistics for Kulim logistics facility project24 August 2023
- PKT Logistics secures logistics services partnership with Tesla Malaysia30 July 2023
- Paying It Forward27 June 2023
- BKH-ICD Showcases Upcoming Inland Port Plans1 June 2023
- PKT logistics travels new paths to inspire talents17 May 2023
- One Northern Hub Catalyses Bukit Kayu Hitam Border Trade30 July 2022
- Rebuilding Team Spirit After A Crisis16 July 2022
- Steering Sabah students towards talent development hub in Batu Kawan4 July 2022
- The Ship Campus concept is unique, says Sabah Governor3 July 2022