Varsity and group team up to train career-ready graduates
Universiti Malaysia Terengganu (UMT) and PKT Logistics Group Sdn Bhd inked a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) symbolising a significant step toward aligning academia and industry.
It was signed by UMT vice-chancellor Prof Datuk Dr Mazlan Abd Ghaffar and PKT Logistics Group chief executive officer and managing director Datuk Seri Dr Michael Tio, in May.
The partnership included commitment to various collaborative efforts including student and staff training, research, academic collaborations, knowledge transfer and sharing industry insights.
Estimated to be worth more than RM700,000, the collaboration involved 100 students under the 2023 Penjana “Smart Logistician” Programme, supported by RM460,000 in funding from the Higher Education Ministry.
The “Smart Logistician” ran for 15 days this month and zoomed in on areas including logistics and transportation, warehouse operations, safety regulations and freight transport.
A unique module called Fundamental of IoT in Production was also introduced with RM90,000 in funding from PKT Logistics Group, endorsed by Rexroth Bosch – a pioneering leader in IoT technology.
Held at The Ship Campus in Penang, the programme saw participants receive full sponsorship for lodging and meals at the Peninsula Student Resident and access to The Ship Campus facilities and amenities including accommodation, lecture halls and libraries during the programme.
Crucial to the programme’s success were the participation of the Industry Centre of Excellence (Maritime Cluster) and Entrepreneurship and Career Centre at UMT.
The primary goal was to enhance participants’ skills through hands-on learning and work-based experience, equipping them with practical knowledge relevant to logistics and transportation, aimed at achieving an 80% or higher job placement rate.
UMT, on the other hand, leveraged its expertise to conduct research enhancing management efficiency and operational practices within Malaysia’s logistics firms.
Upon completion of the programme, students who engage in comprehensive work-based learning experience with PKT Logistics Group will receive a monthly salary of at least RM2,300 over a six-month period.
PKT Logistics Group also introduced the PKT Excellence Award, offering RM5,000 annually and employment opportunities within the company to three outstanding UMT students.
The award scheme also included academic programmes within UMT’s Maritime Studies Faculty.
Recent Press Release
- Higher education institutions should be open to suggestions from industry players in syllabus development, says logistics group chief8 January 2024
- Kolaborasi pemain industri, universiti mampu selesai masalah kebergantungan pekerja asing8 January 2024
- Beacon of Enlightenment in Sustainability4 January 2024
- PKT Logistics becomes first Malaysian company to join The Climate Pledge11 December 2023
- Logistics group CEO Tio awarded honorary doctorate by UMT1 November 2023
- Logistics group chief exec honoured27 October 2023
- Japan’s Mitsui Fudosan to partner PKT Logistics for Kulim logistics facility project24 August 2023
- PKT Logistics secures logistics services partnership with Tesla Malaysia30 July 2023
- Paying It Forward27 June 2023
- UMT-PKT to train students in logistics18 June 2023